Boutique amp builder mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapo_Polenton said:
It's all good.. maybe we can all learn a lesson from this post. MikeP you have never talked **** to me or been insulting and I've always thanked you for educating me on things I didn't know. Sometimes however, even though you don't feel you are, I think you do come off sounding a bit condescending. Almost as if you know everything and that your opinion IS the opinion to take. That said, you also share a lot of useful and helpful information so it might very well be that you just need to work on your delivery. I think that is all anybody is saying. Unfortunately, you can work on your delivery but I can't work on my ears :cry: These bad boys are shot in the upper registrars.... drumming and metal are such thankless tasks! ( I wear hearing protection don't worry)

:D

wesarvin said:
Mike, a "no offense" preface isn't an excuse to lay down an insult. Verbal tone matters.

Please point out where I insulted anyone in this thread.

wesarvin said:
We know you have experience with your composing work. You must also realize that major albums are often cut with more than a Bogner cube, Mojave mic, and an mts rack rig. Please humble yourself before jumping to biting attacks against people on this forum.

Wow, talk about passive aggressive nonsense.

There are so many ways I can address this type of BS but I'll take the high road here.

wesarvin said:
Tone matters. Both in guitar and in a social setting. We know that you understand the former, please work on the latter.

The same can be said for you.

You're new here, so I'm going to cut you some slack. But go ahead and use the search engine on "Kapo" and "Mike P" and see what it reveals. As a matter of fact, use it just for my responses.

Oh, and thanks, Professor. People like you are the reason I pay $900 a month for private school and if I ever came across ANY teacher with your attitude, you can bet your arse I'd be speaking with the owner/superintendent in a heartbeat.

Good luck in your "tone" search.

Private schools and underprivileged public schools both hold the same standards in regards to bullying and supporting a safe, nurturing learning environment.

Comments such as "you've lost all credibility with me" are quite harsh.

Do you find it necessary to belittle "people like me" in order to further your ranks on Internet forums?

Frankly, I find it offensive and rude.

Let me summarize the MikeP / Kapo MTS history for you:

Kapo - insert module_ has no cut, not enough detail, how can I mod this?

MikeP - Your opinion is skewed and based on nothing. I've experienced it all. The tones in the 80's sucked and I don't know why anyone with half a brain would want them but I'll tell you how you can get them. You don't listen. ... you still aren't listening...

END

MikeP are you passively being a bully?? I was always taught to punch em hard in the nose once and they'd leave you alone.. :lol:

wesarvin said:
Private schools and underprivileged public schools both hold the same standards in regards to bullying and supporting a safe, nurturing learning environment.

So, I'm a "bully" because for nine months, I've tried to help Kevin?

Right.

wesarvin said:
Comments such as "you've lost all credibility with me" are quite harsh.

He lost credibility because he failed to change his guitar strings. Yeah, I'm a bully.

wesarvin said:
Do you find it necessary to belittle "people like me" in order to further your ranks on Internet forums?

Frankly, I find it offensive and rude.

Frankly, I find every one of your comments to be offensive and rude.

If my clients had an issue with the tracks that I deliver, regardless of my methodology, I'd take notice and make changes. To date, that hasn't happened.

But, it's cool for you to slam me for the MTS, Bogner, etc. that I use to track guitars. I'm sure that everyone in this forum shares your opinion that they sound awful and that I'm just a blowhard.

Kapo_Polenton said:
MikeP are you passively being a bully?? I was always taught to punch em hard in the nose once and they'd leave you alone.. :lol:

Yeah, well I boxed Golden Gloves for 5 years, so I'm pretty sure I know how to punch back.

:D

Look, this all started because you indicated that you thought it was next to impossible to clone an amp without hearing the amp that's being cloned, side by side.

I disagreed then and I disagree now.

Now, if you've got it all figured out with your recording interface, drums and guitars, good for you. I guess you won't be needing any further advice from me.

Good luck.

Quick to listen. Slow to anger...the path to wisdom.

Just think, if I annoy you enough, then you'll hit the post count of the evil mark....

Here we go. Your music sucks.

Just kidding!

I understand your argument, and I was merely pointing out the condescending nature of some of your replies. If you take offense at those comments, then we have a different set of issues to discuss. The bogner remark was made to help bring us and our mts world to scale. Shoot, I'm selling my bogner rig right now because I've discovered mts! For people in our position, it just makes sense from a tone, financial, and workflow perspective.

Please, let's not just watch what we say to other people, but how we say it. When you have nothing nice to say, at least have the decency to be vague...

Yeah, well I boxed Golden Gloves for 5 years, so I'm pretty sure I know how to punch back.

Yeah but I've done martial arts almost my whole life, have wrestled, and learned pretty quick that a boxer is useless on his back or when his hands aren't wrapped and in gloves. They don't like getting their knuckles mashed up on elbows or their forearms knuckled until the tendons and bones are sore. I do have knowledge in some things... (and i really like the sweet science of boxing and the work that goes into preparing for a fight btw so this isn't a pissing contest. Just demonstrating that we all have strengths and weaknesses)

As for gear and tone, as long as you aren't yelling, everyone's experience is of value. I like the tones i'm getting these days. I'm confident I'll get to where I need to be.

wesarvin said:
Please, let's not just watch what we say to other people, but how we say it. When you have nothing nice to say, at least have the decency to be vague...

First off, I said "No offense". As far as I can tell, Kev didn't take offense and if he did, he has my apologies. That said, I believe that I have a legitimate reason behind my post.

I've suggested and tried to to help for months and finally lost my patience after the revelation that everything changed after he change his six month old strings. Again, you're fairly new here and haven't been here this entire time, so I believe, right or wrong, that my position is justified.

As far as "decency to be vague", I fully disagree. People don't learn and grow if there's no honesty present. When I first moved to LA in early 1993, I came out with an open mind and believe me, I had my *** handed to me on several occasions, whether it was from multi-platinum songwriters or multi-platinum producers, FOH engineers, etc. It made me BETTER and made me work even harder to improve my composing and productions.

The music business is not kind to anyone. I do my best to withhold opinions, even when asked in an open forum, because I fully realize that the goal of 99% of the folks here isn't the same as mine.

But sometimes, it's difficult to avoid the truth and in those cases, I try to be as gentle as possible. My intention is never to offend, only to assist, yet sometimes, my assistance is misconstrued.

And if Kev is upset with my approach this time out, my apologies.

One correction though MikeP, new strings didn't change everything. You make it sound like I discovered the fountain of youth or that I had a eureka moment. I think what happened is that I actually read your posts and started testing a few things or adjusting the way I recorded based on what I had learned from your experience... so in essence, I actually did take a few of your suggestions and put them to use. What is to lose patience about? Your suggestions and info were well received and I've got some plans to purchase some very usable gear in the near future (when funds become available) thanks to a few of the suggestions you made on preamps and other interfaces as well. The amp recording booth idea is another good one and I saved the links to the studio foam that you linked to as it will cut down noise and allow me to record without scaring the hell out of puppies or girlfriends. Just because I may ask what you perceive as being stupid questions doesn't mean I don't listen to good answers :roll:

For some reason, I found myself not as in love with the Friedman as I expected to be. I notice it sounding a tad scooped. Same with the tone merchants demo, it look like they were dropping the mids a lot.

Kapo_Polenton said:
For some reason, I found myself not as in love with the Friedman as I expected to be. I notice it sounding a tad scooped. Same with the tone merchants demo, it look like they were dropping the mids a lot.
Kapo I recommend Friedman's Brahma mod. I have one and prefer it over the Brown Eye. Keeps much more clarity and has a killer sweet spot in the upper register. I just compared the stock Brahma, B.E, and this mod and the later just spanks!

Kapo_Polenton said:
Yeah but if i send my brahma off to Friedman it will be 3 months before I see it!!

easily 3 months with all the work DF has on his plate

that is unless he has "helpers" who do mods for him :roll:

Kapo_Polenton said:

I think some of the dryness is how he dialed it in - not to
mention each was played thru a different cab/speakers
(I wish he would have played both thru the same cab)

the "right" boost pedal and a para eq I bet you could get the BE-100
in the ballpark ofthe CCV

would believe most on rig-yalk preferred the Friedman ?
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110265

I apologize for steering off topic. I was quite annoyed by some post and felt something should have been said.

I do think that the XTC mod captures that vibe well. However, it seems that modded modules from modders who compare to the real deal capture the tones much more accurately. I'm only using the XTC as an example because I have had two modules next to the real deal, and heard the similarities and differences with my own ears.

wesarvin said:
I'm only using the XTC as an example because I have had two modules next to the real deal, and heard the similarities and differences with my own ears.

IMO

similarities = thats the modders doing their best to "recreate" the vibe
(gotta remember they only have 2 tubes to work with !)

differences = egnaters/randall's voicing in the phase inverter & power section

might wanna try using a RM4 and different power amp/cab combinations
sometime - you might be pleasantly surprised at the difference in tone

I totally understand what you mean. When running fx send into the bogner return, the differences become even less.

fuzzboat said:
in an attempt to get this thread back OT

heres new clip posted at rig-talk

CAMERON CCV AND FRIEDMAN BE-100 VIDEO CLIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpwfBTX7H8&feature=player_embedded

(note to rhequiem - judging from the clip the FRIEDMAN BE-100 sounds identical to my Friedman modded BE/C45/Sat plexi module)

I'm on RT and those guys seem to be in love with the stuff from Diezel, Mark Cameron and Dave Friedman. I've had 2 Friedman mods, a BE and the Judge and I've never been a fan. At one point I was interested in the Angry Hippie, but now I'm not

The Diezel sound on channel 3 of the VH4 is great for that Thump, but I'm not into Diezels. They're too thick. yuck!

Cameron seems to be new to the RT community. He's got 3 amps- the CCV (top of the line), Atomica (Jose Mod), Doug Aldrich mod. Of the 3, the Aldrich sounds the best to my ears. I like a very saturated high gain marshall tone, but not a thick one and the Aldrich gets a tone that I can't find easily in other mods. I'd love to see a Doug Aldrich MTS mod.

While on the subject of amps on RT, I'd love to see a Suhr/CAA OD100SE+ made into a module. The custom 3 doesn't quite do it and the closest I've come is a Suhr Riot pedal into a clean MTS mod.