Egnater M4 new-extended

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarcoR said:
Bruce, I'd think you could sell a ton of them at $650 considering they generally go for around $800 on the used market.
Let`s not give Bruce a reason to jack the price up. :lol:

MarcoR said:
I wish I got one at $400 when I had the chance!
This makes me a little sick. I paid that for a used RM4. :x

Bruce, have you considered building the E2 's in house as well? There are a number of us that would buy 1 today if we had the chance..
is the R4 going to have an fx loop?

+1 on the E2. I'm definitely interested in the M4 ad well, but can't say I am in purchase mode now. Maybe after the 1st quarter.

I think the thing that keeps the E2 from being built now is the midi switching that would allow you to toggle between the E2 and the preamp section of the amp that the E2 would be connected to (via serial loop eliminating the need for an external switcher).

I say there are plenty of switchers available these days so scratch the idea of the original E2 concept with the switcher built in and just make a 1U M2 for two dual channel modules. That would sell like crazy! Bruce, build 100 of these like you originally intended to do with the E2. If you can do the M4 at $650 then do the M2 at $550. Can I pre-order now?

Bruce and All,

Is there any way to get the M4 with 50W power in a headshell format? I know it might be a tall order, but I'd commit to two of them. 8)

Drew

Rod said:
drewiv said:
Bruce and All,

Is there any way to get the M4 with 50W power in a headshell format? I know it might be a tall order, but I'd commit to two of them. 8)

Drew
Me as well... at least one of them...
Once I get my current rig finalised I'd be interested in one as well.

Were Bruce in any way involved with those Rocktron valve poweramps at all? Good stuff either way if memory serves. I could imagine sort of one M4 and one of those in one unit. Then could it take European filament currents and not be limited to 6L6s it's a plus.

drewiv said:
Bruce and All,

Drew

Second that! Ala' RM22, plus power grid from tourmaster :D

I would definitely buy one for $650. The effects loop is critical though, only reason I haven't sprung on a used M4 yet...

seanh303 said:
I would definitely buy one for $650. The effects loop is critical though, only reason I haven't sprung on a used M4 yet...

Perhaps not as much as one would think. An effects loop is nothing more than a break in the signal chain between the preamp and the power amp. Since the M4 is only the preamp section and needs to be fed into a power amp, it's output is essentially the exact same thing as an effects loop. To add a loop is no more than a redundancy: it's a break in the signal before the signal exits the unit one jack over!

Yeah, scratch my last, you are 100% correct. In my case, I would be using the parallel outs, 1 to the amp, and one to the effects unit.

For me personally, I'd LOVE to have the option of balanced XLR outs though!

Jaded Faith said:
seanh303 said:

Perhaps not as much as one would think. An effects loop is nothing more than a break in the signal chain between the preamp and the power amp. Since the M4 is only the preamp section and needs to be fed into a power amp, it's output is essentially the exact same thing as an effects loop. To add a loop is no more than a redundancy: it's a break in the signal before the signal exits the unit one jack over!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Years ago when I was actually gigging out playing guitar, I always ran my M4 Straight into my Intellifex and then to the power amp. I never missed or wanted an FX loop.

Ok, there was SOME reasoning behind my original post. As I'm using mostly studio/recording setup right now, my situation probably doesn't apply to most who are gigging using pedals or connecting to your effects units using series connection.

So, effects processor currently is an Eventide Eclipse. This connects as follows (amp effects loop set to +4db):
1.) Parallel effect loop 1/4" unbalanced out --> balanced cable --> balanced XLR in to Eclipse
2.) Balanced XLR out of eclipse --> balanced cable --> ubalanced 1/4" into amp

The eclipse is set to 100% wet.

Then, I use the amps effects loop mixer to blend the wet signal from the eclipse with the dry signal going straight to the amp from the preamp on the other side of the parallel effects loop, to get the amount of effects I want in the poweramp section.

The Randall RM4 has an effects loop, which is pre-main out, so would work exactly the same, and when using the parallel effects loop, it also has a wet/dry mixing knob which allows you to control the amount of effects in the mixed wet/dry signal before it goes to the power amp.

So the question is, using the parallel out, how would I control the "mix" of the dry/wet signal? I skimmed the RT2/50 manual and don't see any parallel-in mixer built in.

I go out the M4 into a switcher that splits my signal and sends to my Eventide units. Then out the Eventide's in stereo to a RJM mini line mixer then to the RT2/50. All the Eventide units are set to killdry and I can run this in mono, stereo or wet/dry/wet.

MarcoR said:
I go out the M4 into a switcher that splits my signal and sends to my Eventide units. Then out the Eventide's in stereo to a RJM mini line mixer then to the RT2/50. All the Eventide units are set to killdry and I can run this in mono, stereo or wet/dry/wet.

How many eventides are you running? So using 1/4" analog connections throughout the whole chain? Probably a dumb question, but what do you suppose the average output db is of the M4 outs?

Very interesting setup. Also, are you using the parallel outputs, with one going to the effects and the dry going straight to the power amp?

seanh303 said:
MarcoR said:

How many eventides are you running? So using 1/4" analog connections throughout the whole chain? Probably a dumb question, but what do you suppose the average output db is of the M4 outs?

Very interesting setup. Also, are you using the parallel outputs, with one going to the effects and the dry going straight to the power amp?

I'm using a pitchfactor, timefactor and space. There is no serial or parallel loops on the m4 but there is a master volume which basically is the send level to your effects; you can hit them as hard as you want so if it's a line level unit you may have the volume 100% or if you?re going into instrument level pedals the master may be set about 40% (11:00ish).

The midi splitter (Axess GRX4) sends a dry signal to the mini mixer (if running in mono or stereo) and the effects run in parallel and are switched out when not in use via the midi switcher (none of the effects feed another). The mini mixer sends a left and right signal to the power amp or just left if running mono and have the RT2/50 in switching mode. If I'm doing the W/D/W thing (which is just for kicks at this point) the dry signal from the splitter goes to the serial return of my seminar head instead of the mixer and the mixer just sends wet signals to the RT2/50.

I have quite a few other things going on in the setup as well but I don't want to write a book... I'll just say it's very flexible and sounds great. I do want an Eclipse though...

Oh, ok, I thought you were running multiple rackmount eventides! As far as the pedals go, I think it's basically no different than running through a Gmaj or other effects unit that will handle 100% of the serial signal and then use built in or added drykill, or any other pedal board setup...works/sounds fine with a serial connection.

Eclipse and some other rackmounts (H-series, probably PCM96 etc.) really need a parallel connection to make the most out of it.

This Tech Note explains it better than me, but basically, you need to have you dry signal seperate from your wet signal, run across +4db balanced connection to the XLR ins/outs of the rackmount.

MTS amps are freakin' perfect because they have series AND parallel loops, and switchable between -10db and +4db....they're one of the most versatile amps I've yet found hands down...still pissed they discontinued them, incredible potential!

Latest posts