Kemper Vs Axe II

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelDragon

Reaction score
Well, my second Kemper Profiling Amp is on the way, after the first one had mechanical problems with some of the buttons. Yes, this is worrisome. Quality Control seems to be an issue. However, I got to play a few amps through it anyway(although I couldn't see which amps they were due to said problems) and it sounds like the real deal. I was very pleased with it. The sound was thick.

I also had my name on the AXE FX II list. 45 minutes after I received a confirmation for shipment of the Kemper, I get an e-mail from Fractal saying my name is up to buy an AXE II. Stunning. I was only on the list for seven weeks. I wonder if the AXE kool-aid is starting to lose it's sweetness? The usual wait time was several months.

On a side note, I thought it would be interesting to profile MTS mods too.

Very interesting, indeed! I am a former Axe Ultra and II owner/user, and recently made the jump back to the MTS stuff after buying an RM22 and having that wash of tubey goodness flow over me hehe I was going full FRFR with the Axe, and was happy with my tone, but spent waaaaaaaaay too much time fiddling. I'd love to pick another one up (put my name on the waiting list again, actually hehe), even if just to use for the stellar effects and as a back up rig and for potential recording purposes. Very interested in hearing how the Kemper stacks up, and would be doubly interested in hearing it profile some MTS stuff. I suspect a paradox might ensue, but it sounds fun regardless :)

I suppose it's like every new gadget. People rush at 1st to it, then after awhile it loses its appeal. There might be other factors as well, but for me, tubes are tubes and they give a tone and feel that doesn't fully get replicated by the SS modelers.

A paradox would be a Kemper profiling another Kemper

+1 on the tubes. MTS, the best-kept secret in amplifiers, will always be in my arsenal. But I need that Kemper to play and practice late nights with the headphones+ I like the options- I have over a 1,000 amp profiles, many are amps I've never heard of.

I suspect MTS might be even cheaper in the ensuing months. Lots of options out there, almost over-saturation....Kemper, 11R, AXE..... Even MTS modules are numerous in the classifieds and many aren't even getting a sniff.

The after market for the AXE II and the Kemper might be the way to go as the amp modeler market corrects itself with supply/demand.

That being said, I got a sweet deal, I feel, from American Musical Supply for the Kemper. 10% off($185), no interest, five payments :p

Now watch someone say they got a new one for half that price :lol: :eek: :p

Another Axe II owner returning to MTS.

I dove very deeply into the rabbit hole. For me, digital comes up shy. Sure, even a gen 1 POD can be tailored into a mix. But, in the end, it came down solely to what felt best and sounded best to me while jamming.

For recording, where a mic is (typically) used, tube, Axe, Kemper, etc can get much closer to "common ground." However, there are aspects of the "non-real amp" solutions that still fall short for me.

Part of the rabbit hole involved IRs; understanding and experiencing that changed my world. Going direct via preamp is easy enough, but getting the rest of the circuit, and decent interactivity emulation (between pre, power, and speaker), is where the issues lie for me. Looking at Two Torpedos solutions now...

The Axe might remain for me for effects, but even there I am considering going with a less expensive unit and some pedals.

I'm actually looking to sell/trade my POD HD500 just because I want to go to pedals, too, Nikki. Seems like we're treading a very similar path ;)

Does it perfectly model whatever it 'hears"?????
Does it feel right?

Gtrgeorge

what have you sampled? (I know thats not the right word, but you know...)

I can add a little on the Kemper.

I received one from the first shipment to Sweetwater. I gigged the Axe FX for several years, and although it sounds good in the mix, it doesn't sound as good 'in the room' as a great tube amp. I'm a high gain guy, and that's where modelers come up short, imo.

I have profiled a lot of my boutique amps into my Kemper, and I can say that it does a VERY good job at copying the amp at the current settings. But as you can imagine, the quality of the profile depends completely on the talent/experience of the person recording the profile. From amp settings to speaker/cab choice to mic choice to mic placement to input gain settings - it all plays a major role in the eventual profile.

When I profile an amp, I do several different takes at different EQ and gain settings. That's the best way to really 'capture' the amp. It takes a little longer initially, but it's well worth the effort. And the beauty is that once you record a good profile, it's yours forever.

A really good profile sounds as good as a great tube amp in the room. For me, that's where the Kemper outshines the Axe, I or II. Of course, this is just my opinion / my experience. Others may vary.

wow..very insightful review....I wish for evenmore...gives me time to save up money for the Kemper!!!

Sounds really great....just have to rent those amazing amps!!!

GtrGeorge

PS: when you roll down your guitar volume..do they clean up???