Another Future of MTS Thread...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I know my question probably won't be answered, but I just keep wondering what the future for MTS will be now that Randall in out of the picture? JF Rob is taking his moded modules to the LA amp show. He must think there will be a future to the product, but there is a limited supply of modules unless you get the duallies from Bruce. I wonder what will become of the modules themselves? Will there be Egnater Single channel. Will modules get manufactured in China and be send directly to modders? Will there be a future of the amp line? Will I see the a new module preamp holder (RM4, M4, E2, RM1250). Will there be a new amp (RM100, 50, 20)?

Maybe the will be an announcement at NAMM, but I've heard that line before and nothing has happened. So, I'd like to know- Does MTS have a future or is it a dinosaur about to meet extinction?

You have to hope so! There seems to be interest from Bruce E regarding what turns folks on about the modded modules? I think there has been a slight barrier to entry for some in terms of price point and you do have to be able to think a bit differently than the traditionalist (ironically it's far more traditional than using a modeling setup).

I would love to see an entry level small 2 module head based on the Rebel 20 chassis and power section. Include a MIDI footswitch, and you could piggy back a portion of the build cost and components with the production of the solidly selling Rebel head.

Granted the preamp interaction and height of the casing would be new, but blending the el84 and 6v6 was my favorite thing about my Rebel 20, and would really be handy with modules. Add the Brite and tight switches from the 20 and IMO, you have a much cooler option than the RM22. Just give it a master volume knob and it's the true low volume portable machine.

Oregon said:
You have to hope so! There seems to be interest from Bruce E regarding what turns folks on about the modded modules? I think there has been a slight barrier to entry for some in terms of price point and you do have to be able to think a bit differently than the traditionalist (ironically it's far more traditional than using a modeling setup).

I would love to see an entry level small 2 module head based on the Rebel 20 chassis and power section. Include a MIDI footswitch, and you could piggy back a portion of the build cost and components with the production of the solidly selling Rebel head.

Granted the preamp interaction and height of the casing would be new, but blending the el84 and 6v6 was my favorite thing about my Rebel 20, and would really be handy with modules. Add the Brite and tight switches from the 20 and IMO, you have a much cooler option than the RM22. Just give it a master volume knob and it's the true low volume portable machine.

+1 on all of that, especially giving it proper MIDI control, unlike the RM22 - which is a great little amp but is totally unexpandable which is a crying shame ;-)

Oh yeah and come on Bruce give us the production version of the E2 - just think add a GSP1101 and a Mesa 20/20 and in three U you would have a balls to the walls pro setup you could actually carry!!!

Wasn't the last word that Bruce was holding off on pulling the trigger on the new modular line until Randall and Randall dealers had depleted their stock? NAMM 2013 will have given them plenty of time for that.
If Bruce is at the LA Amp Show I'll ask him about it. If not, I'll certainly report from NAMM on day 1! If there's nothing at NAMM this year, I'd say modular is done.
For the record, I have ZERO problems with new modular products being made in China. They will be better built and built on time compared to Randall MTS products. They should cost about half as much too.

Totally agree with Jace on this... And the only dealers with stock either have used gear, or a few eBay dealers with a handful of modules.

All I know is I was super envious at the mod gear before I stepped into the pool, and now I feel lucky, and frankly a bit scared that I'll buy too much... (gotta watch the GAS with MTS).

One would assume that since Bruce is at least still doing the dualies on a custom order basis there is still some hope. He's done some great things with his overseas line so hopefully for us, he can bring the line back that way. If not we've still got rob and Anthony and Scott to help us at least a lil bit

I would love if it continues. I'm just getting started. although my funds for gear is much less than it used to be, It would be nice if the modders had blanks from which to work for a long time, and that there was a buying public there for them.

It would be great if bruce would offer modders boards to work on rather than full modules to buy. I have no idea if this would work with bruce's business model and I'm sure he would like to develop product too but I think it would be cool for the users.

Maybe Bruce could offer blanks to us users for try. i'm no genius but have had very good results with BYOC pedals. again though, not sure what this means for the business end of it. I can't imagine the customer service required to deal with it

Maybe Bruce could outsource the DIY portion of it one of the modders to run?

Bruce has shot down the blank boards & kits idea before. I doubt he will change his mind, at least not as long as, they are Egnater branded. His arguement is valid. If someone botches it up or tweaks it a little further so it doesn't sound like he intended or worse sounds horrible, all anyone will associate it with is Egnater. That's not good for business. If he started a BYOC type module company then I could see it. Then the only problem, is getting MTS in the hands of more people, so the module kit business would have a bigger market.

I will agree that what appear to be empty promises is a little disturbing. Hopefully NAMM 2013 we will see a rebirth of MTS. Hopefully it does because I am jonesing for duallies & an M4. However I am not interested in investing in it (at least an M4) if the supply is going to dry up.

Seems like the trick is to have a relatively affordable entry point without compromising the concept?

At least he's popping in the forum to let folks know we can order dualies from Egnater for now... I appreciate hearing that.

..."I have ZERO problems with new modular products being made in China. They will be better built and built on time compared to Randall MTS products. They should cost about half as much too."

I wouldnt assume THAT, at all.

GtrGeorge

PS: If you like Cheap Chinese crap that breaks easily, please head on down to Walmart and buy a screwdriver that gives up the ghost after one use.

I ride/race mountain bikes. A couple years ago the US made carbon Cannondale bikes were breaking. The ones Cannondale outsourced overseas were holding up. Good and bad quality can happen anywhere.

I just can't subscribe to the old-school "it's made here/there so it must be great/terrible" way of thinking. It's a very narrow minded mentality.

I work on more electronics than anyone I know and see plenty of great stuff made all over the world. I have also seen my share of complete garbage that was hand-made right here from trust-worthy sources.

There are so many variables that go into QC. When it's done right, it's done right regardless of where it was done.

Macbooks and iPhones are built in China. There's no shortage of high quality gear made there. But it all depends on the QC. There's also a TON of crap shipped out of China, too.

My problem with Chinese made goods (and the reason I never buy Chinese made if I can help it) is because supporting them directly impacts the U.S. negatively. They maintain their currency artificially low, instead of letting it float like other world currencies. This helps them and hurts other countries: 1) it keeps their exports cheap, and 2) it makes imports to China more expensive.

But Western governments don't put much pressure on them to change, because there's an insatiable demand for cheap goods in the U.S. and Western Europe.

Bingo.
Jaded Faith said:
I just can't subscribe to the old-school "it's made here/there so it must be great/terrible" way of thinking. It's a very narrow minded mentality.

I work on more electronics than anyone I know and see plenty of great stuff made all over the world. I have also seen my share of complete garbage that was hand-made right here from trust-worthy sources.

There are so many variables that go into QC. When it's done right, it's done right regardless of where it was done.