MTS vs 6505 vs Engl Straight (Lynch's Wicked Sensation Head!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
So, I jammed out at my local shop today.

Engl Straight: a handwired head previously owned by George Lynch
This amp has a kick *** Marshall 800-ish but more gain tone. Excellent tone, great for leads, cool cleans, beautiful reverb. In the edn, I'm more of a chainsaw/angst kind of guy and less of a beuatiful tone guy....but this amp is a tempting piece. Very rare and historic. Not enough tightness for modern metal, but rules for hard rock. Even though there are lots of options, there's not really a crunch tone that is inspiring, so not really a "rock" head. I used it with a 6505 cabinet (yuck) and a Randall 4x12 (much better clarity).

Peavey 6505 with matching cab
Awhile back I had a chance to get a 5150 & cab cheap, but opted to go for a Salvation S1S0 (which I LOVE). I never actually played through a 5150 or 6505. Crazy levels of gain, oodles of low end....but thumbs down on the clarity and low end mud, it really needs to be modified to bring out the strong aspects of the amp. It has a cool mid range tone. I spent a lot of time dialing, but in the end, my ears have been spoiled my modded mods. It doesn't help that the price tag was 1850! On a USED piece! Granted, it was in excellent shape, but just off memory I was thinking it should be half of that. Now I'm home pricing it out and it makes no sense :? Oh well, it's a muddy mess anyway.

Randall MTS loaded with Blackface, Grail, and Scary
Ah, home sweet home. I thought I wanted the Engl until I plugged back into the Grail & Scary. Real cool stock modules, Gain between 12-3 oclock, lots of mids and treble and it is a good sound. I plugged a Keely modded TS into it and it was sensational.

I walked in with GAS but left buying nothing; I confirmed my belief that MTS and the modded modules are fantastic.

c06769e0.jpg

I bet it was the terrible Sheffield speakers the 6505 cab has, I loved my 5150 with my Orange 212. You're right that 1850 is a lot, considering used 5150s can be easily had for $500 and the cab sucks.

oops 1899- it's right in the picture, lol

Keep in mind I was there to pick up cash on a cosignment deal that was successful for my 4x12 cab- price on these deals always has an asking price and a bare minmium

Here's the conversation

Seller: That price (1899) is firm, it's a cosignment deal
Me: That seems like a lot, these amps are new for like 1200 (actually 850)"
Seller: But there's a cab
Me: I know the new EVH III cabs are 1k, but....
Seller: Yes, all new 4x12 cabs are 1k (this cab is like 500new)

In the background there's the wingman sales guy going "get it, get it, you know you want it"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

No, I had some good experiences at McKnight's. I bought my rm20 there new and grabbed a Randall 1x15/2x12 cab there dirt cheap. Seemed like good people. I'm not sure if I should put the name of this place out there...real friendly people, but the prices and sales approach is comical

Dont know,I used a 5150 for years..ahd an original block letter and a later signature model...which both sound the same btw..dont care what anyone says....lol.....I thought they were awesome until I bought a Soldano HR100 plus..now they just sound terrible to me since owning alot more amps...Ive heard modded heads that sound ok..and the S1SO module sounds way better...has that 5150 vibe,but much cleaner and clearer....